Monday, September 19, 2011

Ultimate Surrender

I love a beautiful sunrise or sunset. I love a full house of family and friends. I love daily chat sessions and giggles with my kids. I love crashing into my bed after a long day and feeling my pillow-top mattress fold around me soothing my tired body. I love accomplishing a long to-do list that makes my day feel so productive. Each and every one of those things sound terrific, and could easily be the best part of a day for me. But there's one thing that tops them all without comparison, on a level all its own.

It's a moment of ultimate surrender. When every thought, sound, event, task and chore is pushed out of my mind. It's a number of feelings wrapped into one. If peace, comfort, joy, focus, humbleness and mercy could be combined into one word, one feeling, one experience, one place... that is the best part of my day.

Some days it takes me longer to reach that moment than others, but it is always reachable. The presence of the Lord is always there for me to grasp, appreciate, reverence, and drown away in.

I don't have an exact time of day that I do my reading and praying. Sometimes it is first thing in the morning. Other times it's at night when the kids are winding down for bed. Then there are the mid-day escapes into my room when no one around me is paying attention.

I like to know that all interruptions are clear, and that time can be a specific time for absorbing wisdom from the word, sobbing my plea for forgiveness, praising for the blessings my life is intertwined with, and seeking the guidance for the next step in my path.

I'll be honest, there are days that I struggle, my mind darting from one thought to the next. But then comes that moment. Sweet surrender to the Spirit... and every thought, every task on the agenda disappears as my focus clears.

That is the best time of the day. No matter how good or bad the day seemed before, or even after. It's the only time of the day I can be 100% free from every care in the world. Every worry the enemy attempts to put on my shoulders. Every feeling that is not of God. How can that not be the best... an absolute perfect moment to relish?

Include those moments in your day, despite how difficult it may seem to get there... it's worth it my friends! It has the power to free from bondage, the strength to get you through a hardship, joy for a clouded day of frustration, and a peace that overcomes your circumstance. Whether it be five minutes or five hours... the Lord will meet you there somehow, someway, every time.

The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.
(Psalm 145:18)

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.
(James 4:8)