Monday, May 21, 2012

Follow the Leader

In observation, I'm noticing there are a lot of titles when it comes to people claiming to be saved, born again, heaven bound, or however else it can be put. For the most part, those that are claiming Christ as their source of faith, the term "Christian" is pretty wide-spread. Please note, I am aware there is a list of different denominations, but to stick with my point I'm summing it up here as Christianity.

With most social media websites, there is usually some sort of blank to fill in when it comes to "religious views". I'm trying to figure out why these spaces are filled out with "Christian", yet posts to the same profile are giving God a last name, among other things that likely make the Lord weep.

Claiming Christianity used to mean something. But frankly, it's a term now. A title. A word used to throw it out there that hey, I go to church, I own a Bible, I say "Thank you God", I bow my head and say grace over my food when I remember to.

You may sense a frustration in my writing, but quite frankly, if you truly serve the same living God I do... the one who was crucified for our sins before we even existed, buried in a tomb, walked through hell, rose from His grave three days later, and ascended back into Heaven, all for the forgiveness of our selfish iniquities... then it should frustrate you too, that "Christian" has just become another word thrown around.

Bear with me for a moment while I break down this term to clarify a few things that I'll be coming back to...

Christianity   [kris-chee-an-i-tee]
noun
- the state of being a Christian

Christian   [kris-chuhn]
adjective
- of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ and His teachings; a faith.
- exhibiting a spirit proper to a follower of Jesus Christ; Christlike

Christlike   [krahyst-lahyk]
adjective
- like Christ; showing the spirit of Christ.

Believe   [bih-leev]
verb
- to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so

Follow   [fol-oh]
verb
- to go or come after; move behind in the same direction
- to accept as a guide or leader; accept the authority of or give allegiance to
- to conform to, comply with, or act in accordance with; obey
- to follow orders; to follow advice
- to imitate or copy; use as an exemplar

Now, I'm well aware of sin. I know we all have, we all do, and we all will sin again. But how many claiming this term on Sunday mornings or even on a Facebook profile "religious view", are truly striving to live up to its basic dictionary definition? Christian... follower of Christ... deriving from His teachings... showing the spirit of Christ...

A follower of Christ should be one who is compelled and in an intense pursuit of the God's will throughout ALL they do. Not just when it's convenient, fits the schedule or event, and seems like the thing to do because of present company. Failing at the attempt will happen... I'll be the first to admit I fall short... but the constant pursuit must remain.

Notice the difference between the definitions for "believe" and "follow". So which definition most accurately describes your "religious views"? Do you believe in Christ, or do you follow Him? Believing is a one time thought... just like some used to believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny... a belief can come and go.

Ah, but when you allow yourself to trust, when the YOU is humbled down before the Almighty, when you set out on a journey to put your feet into the footsteps led before you... that my friends, is a follower.

Just as basic definition a follower obeys, and conforms to whatever it is being followed. So as a Christian, one who is claiming to follow Christ, shouldn't our actions, words, and habits attempt to conform to the footsteps we're following? There should be obedience to ALL God's Word has laid out for us.

If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
(John 14:23)

Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
(Mark 8:34-35)

So there are only two choices, just as there are only two sides to a fence... we're either followers of Christ (Christians), or we're not.

He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
(Matthew 12:30)

It's so easy to say "I believe"... but to say "I will follow" is a life long commitment of the heart. If Christ were standing before you looking you eye to eye, asking you, a believer, if you would follow. How would you answer? He did that with some, and He got the "I will, but..." response:

And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
(Luke 9:59-62)

The "buts" didn't follow Him. Would you have given the "but Lord" excuses? A faithful follower doesn't look at how hard the path is. Regardless of storm or sunshine, the steps are sought out. The end reward is so much sweeter with an eternity of life everlasting to look forward to.

Will you follow the Leader to eternity? All we have to do is follow the path He led.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
(Matthew 6:24)