Sunday, July 17, 2011

Musical Inspiration

Music is an incredible thing. It is defined as combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Music can capture you in a moment, bring about thoughts and concentration, move you, surround you, and lead you.

The music we listen to can shape our minds. The saying "garbage in is garbage out" is powerful when it comes to music because of its motivating factors. If you listen to songs of sadness, hate, rejection, corruption, and ungodliness, then that will be your primary mindset. Likewise, if you're listening to encouragement, comfort, praise, rejoicing, and joy... that is what you will bring forth.

Cleaning around the house isn't the most inspiring task of my day. It seems to drag on and take forever to feel accomplished. It's lagging, and seems to be such an insignificant part of my day. However, if I add music of upliftment to the mix while I go about my chores, a bounce enters my step, my mind is taken elsewhere, and before I know it, the house is clean, I feel good, and I desire to tackle more in my day!

Prayer time is sometimes hard to focus on. Distractions of the day enter my mind and thoughts are tempted to wonder off. I begin playing songs of praise and worship, and suddenly my mind is captured and I embrace my time with God.

Half the time I couldn't tell you which artist goes to which song. There are however songs that inspire me, move me, and lift my spirits. Sometimes the song depends on the circumstance. For me there are certain songs for certain moments, and I thought I would share a few songs/videos for a few of those moments that can apply to anyone.

FORGIVENESS... is amazing. I don't care who you are, what you have done, or what background you come from, the blood of Jesus covers ALL sin. Psalm 103:12 tells us that His forgiveness throws our sin as far away as the east is from the west. I was a mess when I found the cross, yet I was washed clean the day I opened my heart to Jesus. Nothing that I was, did, thought, or said is in God's remembrance of me from that time. There have been many times in my life, even since my heart was washed clean, that I felt as though my wrong doings were unforgivable, but he meets me at the cross every time my sorrowful heart calls out for Him. He's there for you too!

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
(Romans 3:23)

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(I John 1:8)

GUIDANCE... is sometimes hard to submit to, but the Lord is there to share it at all times. Situations in life can boggle us down, torture our minds, and try to throw us off track in our walk with the Lord. How incredible it is to know that by kneeling in prayer and opening the Word of God we can receive guidance, confirmation, and affirmation for any situation. I've heard the saying "life doesn't come with an instruction manual, we just have to learn from our mistakes". Wrong!! My instruction manual is the almighty Word of God that teaches, heals, comforts, convicts, guides, and soothes my heart, soul and mind. He is there to help, we just have to submit ourselves to listening.

Be still, and know that I am God.
(Psalm 46:10)

PRAISE & WORSHIP... can never be given enough. We serve such an incredible God! Our creator. Our forgiver. Our comforter. Our peace. Our helper. Our judge. Our protector. The alpha and omega. He deserves to be praised, remembered, reverenced, glorified, uplifted, thanked and rejoiced. There should be constant praise on our heart and minds for all He has, does, and will do for us. He inhabits the praises of His people (Psalms 22:3)!! Too often we forget to lift His name unless we need or want something, forgetting that He deserves and desires our attention always... before, during and after the storm. He does not leave us or forsake us, and for that our praise and worship to Him should be constant.

And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.
(Psalm 35:28)

Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised.
(Psalm 48:1)

Give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
(Psalm 30:4)

I encourage you to keep a song on your heart! Music, especially that which is inspired by the Lord, can be a prescription for any ailment! What songs stir you up?