Sunday, July 10, 2011

To Trade or Not to Trade

60 Day Photo Story ~ 6/60

The Photo Story continues...

DAY SIX: a picture of a person you'd love to trade places with for a day

Do you recognize the gal in this picture? I do... I see her in my mirror every morning. Yes, I know this isn't a day in the photo story for a self portrait, I'm supposed to be trading places with someone for a day. Ah yes, the thoughts swirl, and the post yet again becomes about more than just the photo.

When I look at my reflection, I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I grin back at myself wondering if it could get any better. I also have days that my mirror becomes a magnifying glass... I see every wrinkle, every grey hair, the pounds I've accumulated over the years, the pimple that popped up out of nowhere on my face thanks to an unwelcome "monthly friend"... However, none of the physical defines my true worth or purpose. What I look like, what I possess, what I wear, what I drive, what I live in... NONE of that is significant.

I DON'T WANT to trade places with anyone. The Lord has me exactly where He wants me, with exactly what He wants me to have, sharing my life with the very people He has set in place for me at the time. Of course there are an abundance of others out there with more money, fancier and newer cars, humongous homes with maids, cooks and butlers, shopping trips where they spend more in one outing than I do in an entire year... but quite frankly, the "greener grass" in their yard still needs mowed too.

Bottom line, I'm just fine and content with the life the Lord has mapped out for me, and wouldn't trade even one day with anyone, because that's one day of His mysterious and perfect plan for my life that I would miss by filling it in with twenty-four hours of someone else's path. By desiring even just a day of someone else's life is to look past what the Lord has for us and covet that of another... even if it is the little things, it's still the little things that can hold us back from what God wants us to be!

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
(Exodus 20:17)

Thank you Lord for who YOU made me to be. Help me each day to see the beauty in myself and my surroundings that You have blessed me with. Help keep me aware of the things that make me unique and precious to you... the life that only I can live out that no one else would ever be able to because it was a life and purpose designed solely for me!